Apple Coleslaw Recipe, The term coleslaw stems from the Dutch `koolsla’, meaning “cool Cabbage”. This recipe can be easily adapted to suit different tastes. You can add any chopped nuts or raisins you like to garnish for added texture. For richer coleslaw, add half cup of grated Cheddar cheese.
Apple Coleslaw Ingredients:
- 1 lb. white cabbage
- 1 medium onion
- 2 apples, peeled and cored
- 6 oz. carrots, peeled
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. celery salt
- Black pepper
- Discard the outside leaves of the cabbage if they are dirty, cut the cabbage into 2 in wedges, then remove the stem section.
- Feed the cabbage and the onion through a food processor fitted with a slicing blade.
- Change to a grating blade and grate the apples and carrots. Alternatively, use a hand grater and vegetable slicer.
- Combine the salad ingredients in a large bowl. Fold in the mayonnaise and season with celery salt and freshly ground black pepper.