Blueberry, Orange, and Lavender Salad, Delicate blueberries emerge here in a simple salad of sharp oranges and little meringues flavoured with lavender.
Blueberry, Orange and Lavender Salad Ingredients:
- 6 oranges
- 12 0z. blueberries
- 8 sprigs fresh lavender
- 2 eggs whites
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tsp. fresh lavender flowers
- Preheat the oven to 275 F. Line a baking sheet with 6 layers of newspaper and cover with buttered waxed paper. Whisk the egg whites in a large mixing bowl until they hold their weight on the whisk. Add the sugar a little at a time, whisking thoroughly before each addition. Fold in the lavender flowers.
- Spoon the meringue into a piping bag fitted with a ¼ in plain nozzle. Pipe as many small buttons of meringue near the bottom of the oven for 1 ½-2 hours.
- To segment the oranges, remove the peel from the top, bottom, and sides with a serrated knife. Loosen the segments by cutting with a paring knife between the flesh and the membranes, holding the fruit over a bowl.
- Arrange the segments on 4 plates.
- Combine the blueberries with the lavender meringues and pile in the center of each plate. Decorate with sprigs of lavender and serve.
COOK’S TIP : Lavender is used in both sweet and savory dishes. Always use fresh or recently dried flowers, and avoid artificially scented bunches that are sold for domestic purposes.