Chicken Vegetable Salad Recipe. A tasty and perfect chicken simmered in coconut milk, Salam leaves and Indonesian flavoured paste. Combine with young jackfruit, long beans, desiccated coconut, crispy fried shallots, bird’s eye chilies and lime juice to freshen up a dish. This salad known in Southeast Asia as lawar, an Indonesian authentic dish.
Chicken Vegetable Salad Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp. cooking oil
- 2 pcs. Salam leaves
- 1 cup fresh or canned coconut milk
- 300g Chicken fillet, finely diced
- Salt and sugar to taste
- 200g long beans, cut into ¼ inch
- 300g young jackfruit, peeled, blanched and cut into bite-size pieces
- 45g desiccated coconut or grated, toasted
- 30g crispy fried shallots
- 6 pcs. Bird’s eye chillies, whole or finely chopped
- Lime juice to taste
- 5 pcs. Red chillies
- 1/2 tsp. black peppercorns
- 3 pcs. Candlenuts
- 6 pcs. Shallots, peeled
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- ½ inch, Galangal, peeled
- ½ inch Turmeric, peeled
- 1 stalk Lemon grass, tough outer eaves removed, ends trimmed and finely sliced
- 2 tbsp. grated palm sugar
- Pound ingredients for paste together until fine.
- Heat oil in a wok and fry paste until fragrant.
- Add Salam leaves, coconut milk and chicken. Cook until coconut milk is slightly thick.
- Season with salt and sugar, then remove from heat and transfer n serving bowl, set aside to cool.
- Shred chicken when cool and return to bowl.
- Add long beans, jackfruit, coconut, crisp-fried shallots and chillies to bowl.
- Toss well and season with lime juice and serve at room temperature.