Exotic Thai Fish Salad Recipe, For a tropical taste of the Far East, try this delicious fish salad scented with coconut, fruit and warm Thai spices. If planning ahead, you can leave the fish in its marinade for up to 8 hours.
Exotic Thai Fish Salad Ingredients:
- 12oz. fillet red mullet or red snapper
- 1 romaine lettuce
- ½ lollo biondo lettuce
- 1 papaya or mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 pitaya, peeled and sliced
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into wedges
- ½ cucumber, peeled and cut into batons
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. superfine sugar
- ½ tsp. hot chili sauce
- 2 tbsp. garlic oil
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cream of coconut
- 4 tbsp. peanut or sunflower oil
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 fresh red chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- Cut the fish into even strips and place on a platter or in a shallow bowl.
- For the marinade, crush the coriander, fennel and cumin seeds with the sugar.
- Add th chili sauce, garlic oil and salt the combine.
- Spread the marinade over the fish, cover and leave to stand in a cool place for at least 20 minutes the longer the better if you have time.
- To make the dressing, place the coconut and salt in a screw-top jar with 3 tbsp. of boiling water.
- Add the oil, lime zest and juice, red chili, sugar and chopped fresh cilantro. Shake well and set aside.
- Wand and spin the lettuce leaves. Combine with the papaya or mango, pitaya, tomato, cucumber and scallion.
- Toss the dressing and mix well to coat. Arrange salad in a big platter.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet, add the fish and cook for 5 minutes, turning once.
- Place the cooked fish on top of the salad and serve.