Exotic Thai Fish Salad, For a tropical taste of the Far East, try this delicious fish salad scented with coconut, fruit and warm Thai spices.
Exotic Thai Fish Salad Ingredients:
- 12 oz. fillet or red mullet, sea bream, or red snapper
- 1 romaine lettuce
- ½ lollo biondo lettuce
- 1 papaya or mango, peeled and sliced
- 1 pitaya, peeled and sliced
- 1 large ripe tomato, cut into wedges
- ½ hothouse cucumber, peeled and cut into batons
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 tsp. fennel seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. superfine sugar
- ½ tsp. hot chili sauce
- 2 tbsp. garlic oil (see introduction)
- 1 tbsp. unsweetened cream of coconut
- 4 tbsp. peanut or safflower oil
- Finely grated zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 fresh red chili, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 Cut the fish into even strips and place on a plate or in a shallow bowl.
- 2 For the marinade, crushed the coriander, fennel, and cumin seeds with the sugar. Add the chilli sauce, garlic oil, and salt and combine.
- 3 Spread the marinade over the fish, cover, and leave to stand in a cool place for at least 20 minutes – longer if you have time.
- 4 To make the dressing, place the coconut and salt in a screw-top jar with 3 tbsp. boiling water. Add the oil, lime zest and juice, red chilli, sugar, and chopped fresh cilantro. Shake well and set aside.
- 5 Wash and spin the lettuce leaves. Combine with the papaya, pitaya, tomato, cucumber, and scallions. Toss with the dressing, then distribute between 4 large plates.
- 6 Heat a large non-stick skillet. Add the fish and cook for 5 minutes, turning once. Place the cook fish on top of the salad and serve.
- If planning ahead, you can leave the fish in its marinade for up to 8 hours. The dressing can also be made in advance minus the fresh cilantro. Store at room temperature and add the cilantro when you are ready to assemble the salad.