Fresh Fig, Apple, and date Salad, Sweet Mediterranean figs and dates combine especially well with crisp dessert apples. A hint of almond serves to unite the flavors.
Fresh Fig, Apple and Date Salad Ingredients:
- 6 large apples
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 6 oz. fresh dates
- 1 oz. white marzipan
- 1 tsp. orange flower water
- 4 tbsp. plain yogurt
- 4 green or pineapple figs
- 4 almonds, toasted
- Core the apples. Slice thinly, then cut into fine matchsticks. Toss with lemon juice to keep them white.
- Remove the pits from the dates and cut the flesh into fine strips, then combine with the apple slices.
- Soften the marzipan with orange flower water and combine with the yogurt. Mix well.
- Pile the apples and dates in the center of 4 plates. Remove the stem from each of the fig and divide the fruit into quarters without cutting right through the base. Squeeze the base with the thumb and forefinger of each hand to open up the fruit.
- Place a fig in the center of the salad, spoon in the yogurt filling, and decorate with a toasted almond.