Gado Gado Salad Recipe, This salad is a traditional Indonesian salad around which friends and family gather to eat. Fillings are chosen and wrapped in a lettuce leaf and they dipped the parcel in a spicy peanut sauce and eaten. Red chillies are considered to be sweeter than green ones. You can lessen the heat by splitting and removing the seeds.
Gado Gado Salad Ingredients:
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled
- 3 eggs
- 6oz. green beans, trimmed and stringed
- 1 romaine lettuce
- 4 tomatoes, cut into wedges
- ¼ lb. bean sprout
- ½ cucumber, peeled and cut into fingers
- ½ cup giant white radish, peeled and grated
- ½ cup tofu, cut into large dice
- 12oz. large cooked peeled shrimp
- 1 small bunch fresh cilantro
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 2 small red chilies, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp. fish sauce (optional)
- 2/3 cup coconut milk, canned or fresh
- 1 tbsp. superfine sugar
- To make the spicy peanut sauce, combine all ingredients in a food processor until smooth.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- To save using too many pans, cook the wash eggs and beans together.
- Boil the egg first for about 6 minutes then add the beans and cook for another 6 minutes.
- Cool the potatoes, eggs and beans under a running water.
- Line a large platter with the outer leaves of lettuce. Pile the remainder to one side of the platter.
- Slice the potatoes. Shell and quarter the eggs. Arrange the potatoes, eggs beans and tomatoes in separate piles.
- Arrange other salad ingredients in a similar way to cover the platter.
- Transfer the spicy peanut sauce into a small bowl and put into the platter. And ready to serve.