Grilled Salmon and Spring Vegetable Salad, Spring is the time to enjoy sweet young vegetables. Cook them briefly, cool at room temperature, dress and serve with a piece of lightly grilled salmon topped with sorrel and quail’s eggs.
Grilled Salmon and Spring Vegetable Salad Ingredients:
- 12oz. small potatoes, scrubbed
- Salt and pepper
- 4 quail eggs
- 1/4lb. young carrots, peeled
- 1/4lb. baby corn
- 1/4lb. sugar snap peas, trimmed and stringed
- 1/4lb. fine green beans, trimmed and stringed
- 1/4lb. young zucchini
- 1/4lb. summer squash (optional)
- 1/2cup French dressing
- 2 salmon fillets, at 5oz. each, skinned
- 1/4lb. sorrel or young spinach, stems removed
- Bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water and cook for about 15-20 minutes.
- Drain, cover and keep warm.
- Cover the quail’s eggs with boiling water and cook for about 8 minutes.
- Refresh under cold water, shell and cut in half.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil, add all the vegetables, and cook for about2-3 minutes.
- Drain well and place the hot vegetables and potatoes in a bowl, toss with French dressing, and allow to cool.
- Brush the salmon fillets with French dressing and broil for about 6 minutes, turning once.
- Place the sorrel in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan with 2tbsp. French dressing, cover and soften over a gentle heat for about 2 minutes.
- Strain, then allow to cool to room temperature.
- Toss the vegetables in the remaining French dressing.
- Divide the potatoes and vegetables between 4 plates, and then top with salmon and halved quail egg.
- Season with salt, pepper and serve immediately.