Grilled Vegetable Salad Recipe. Another healthy Ratatouille salad, a hearty salad to prepare and serve to your kids as well so they enjoy their vegetable meal. Try to use any vegetables in season for a cheaper deal and still enjoy a healthy salad meal.
Grilled Vegetable Salad Ingredients:
- 2 red onions, unpeeled
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt, to taste
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 3 tbsp. coarsely chopped fresh oregano or marjoram
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- 2 small eggplants (Aubergines)
- 1 zucchini (courgette)
- 1 yellow crookneck squash
- 1 bulb fennel
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeded and quartered lengthwise
- Preheat a broiler (griller) or prepare a fire in a charcoal grill.
- If using a broiler, place the unpeeled onions in a small baking pan and cover with aluminium foil.
- Place the pan in the broiler or place the onions directly on the grill rack about 5inches from the heat source.
- Broil or grill, turning every 5 minutes, until charred on the outside and soft throughout, about 1 hour if using a grill.
- Remove from the broiler or grill, set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, salt, pepper, oregano or marjoram, and garlic.
- Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly.
- Trim the ends from the eggplant, zucchini, and squash, and any stalks from the fennel bulb and slice lengthwise.
- Place in a bowl with the bell pepper and half of the vinaigrette and toss to coat the vegetables.
- Arrange them on a broiler pan or directly on a grill rack about 5 inches from the heat source.
- Broil or grill slowly, turning to cook evenly, for 5-10 minutes for the squash, peppers and eggplants and 15 minutes for the fennel or until the vegetables are lightly golden and cooked through.
- Remove from the broiler or grill rack and let cool.
- Peel onions and cut each into wedges, Place in a bowl.
- Cut all the remaining vegetables into 2 inches pieces as well and add to the bowl.
- Pour the remaining vinaigrette over the vegetables and toss to coat.
- Spoon the vegetables on to individual plates and serve.