Ham and Cantaloupe Salad The sweetness of the fruit pairs up perfectly with ham and pineapple juice, the white wine seems to complement both.
Try this classic ham and melon combination turned into a fun and colourful summer salad recipe with extra flavour enhancement for your family or friends.
Ham and Cantaloupe Salad Ingredients:
- 1 small cantaloupe, halved, peeled and seeded
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 8 oz. lean cooked ham, cut into bite-size strips (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 small cucumber sliced
- 1 cup torn fresh spinach
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- 1 1/2 tsp. snipped fresh mint or 1/2 tsp. dried mint, crushed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
- Coarsely chop one-quarter of the melon; slice remaining melon.
- In a large bowl combine chopped melon, romaine, ham, cucumber, spinach, and green onion.
- In a screw-top jar combine pineapple juice, white wine vinegar, oil, and mint. Cover and shake well.
- Arrange melon slices on four serving plates. Drizzle dressing over greens mixture; toss lightly to coat.
- Divide greens mixture among plates with melon slices. If desired, sprinkle with almonds.
When choosing any type of melon, pick those that feel heavy for their size and have no cracks and bruises. When cantaloupe is ripe, the area between the webbing will be light gold.