Indonesian Salad Recipe. This is an Indonesian salad also known as “gado-gado“of potato slices and cooked vegetables served with a rich peanut sauce. A tasty meal to prepare for family dinner and it’s heavy kind of salad yet so flavorful.
Indonesian Salad Ingredients:
- 2 med. Potatoes, boiled and sliced
- ¼ head cabbage, shredded and steamed
- 100g water convolvulus “kangkong”, steamed
- 100g bean sprouts, scalded
- 2 cakes firm bean curd, deep-fried and cut into half inch pieces
- ½ of med. Cucumber, cut into thin rounds
- 2 eggs, hard-boiled, peeled and sliced
- ¼ cup prawn crackers, deep-fried
- 8 sm. red chillies
- 1 tsp. dried prawn (shrimp) paste
- 2 tbsp. cooking oil
- 8 sm. shallots,peeled and finely sliced
- 375ml coconut milk
- 70g raw peanuts, roasted and coarsely crushed or 125g crunchy peanut butter
- 1-2 tsp. palm sugar or brown sugar
- 4 tbsp. tamarind juice or lemon juice mixed with 2 tbsp. water
- Salt, to taste
- To prepare a sauce, pound chillies and dried prawn paste together until a fine paste is achieved.
- Heat oil and sautee shallots or onions gently until soft.
- Add the ground mixture and stir-fry for 4-5 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, a little at a time, then add all other ingredients for the sauce.
- Simmer for about 3 minutes until sauce thickens.
- Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Arrange salad ingredients in a deep serving dish. Just before serving, pour sauce over and toss lightly.
- Garnish with fried prawn crackers.