Leeks with Parsley, Egg with Walnut Dressing Salad Recipe, In French cooking, leeks are valued for their smooth texture as well as their flavour. They make a wonderful salad, which should be eaten slightly warm, so it is the ideal dish to serve with assorted patties and boiled new potatoes for a gourmet picnic feast.
Leeks with Parsley, Egg and Walnut Dressing Salad Ingredients:
- 1 ½ lb. young leeks
- 1 egg
- 1 oz. fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, preferably French
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ cup toasted walnuts, chopped
- 1 tsp. superfine sugar
- salt and pepper
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cut the leeks into 4 in lengths and rinse well to flush out any grit or soil.
- Cook the leeks for 8 minutes. Drain and part-cool under running water.
- Lower the egg into boiling water and cook for 12 minutes. Cool under running water, shell and set aside.
- For the dressing, finely chop parsley in a food processor.
- Add the olive oil, lemon juice and toasted walnuts. Blend for 2 minutes until well smooth.
- Adjust the consistency with about 1/3 cup water. Add the sugar and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place the leeks on an attractive plate, then spoon on the sauce.
- Finely grate the hard-cooked egg and scatter over the sauce. Serve at room temperature.