Malay Fruit and Vegetable Salad. A tasty fruit and vegetable salad, also known as “Rojak Salad”. A great balance of flavours with sweet, sour, salty and a bit spicy. This salad can be serve as an appetizer or side dish. For this salad to be visually pleasing, cut the fruit and vegetables into pieces of a similar size.
Malay Fruit and Vegetable Salad Ingredients:
- ½ med. pineapple, peeled and cut into small bite-size pieces
- 1 med. cucumber, roll-cut into wedges
- 1 med. turnip, peeled and sliced
- 110g bean sprouts, tailed and blanched
- 8 fried bean curd puffs, cut into small pieces
- 2 crullers, cut into small pieces
- 3 red chillies
- 1 tbsp. dried prawns or shrimp paste “Belacan”
- 3 tsp. superfine sugar
- Juices of 4 limes
- 1 tbsp. tamarind pulp mixed in 100ml warm water and strained
- 1 tbsp. black prawn paste “Haeko”
- 55g raw peanuts, roasted, skinned and finely chopped
- To prepare the sauce pound chillies and dried prawn paste together until fine.
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pound into a paste and set aside.
- Toss sliced fruits and vegetables, bean curd puffs and crullers in a serving bowl and mix well.
- Drizzle sauce over and toss well to coat evenly.
- Divide in small bowls and serve immediately.