Melon and Prosciutto Salad with Strawberry Salsa, Sections of cool fragrant melon wrapped with slices of air-dried ham make a delicious salad starter.
If strawberries are in season, serve with a savory-sweet strawberry salsa and watch it disappear.
Melon and Prosciutto Salad with Strawberry Salsa Ingredients:
- 1 large melon, cantaloupe, Spanish or Charentais
- 6 oz. prosciutto, thinly sliced
- ½ lb. strawberries
- 1 tsp. superfine sugar
- 2 tbsp. peanut or sunflower oil
- 1 tbsp. orange juice
- ½ tsp. finely grated orange zest
- ½ tsp. finely grated fresh ginger
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 Halve the melon and take the seeds out with a spoon. Cut the rind away with a paring knife, then slice the melon thickly. Chill until ready to serve.
- 2 To make the salsa, hull the strawberries and cut them into large dice. Place in a small mixing bowl with the sugar and crush lightly to release the juices. Add the oil, orange juice, zest and ginger. Season with salt and a generous twist of black pepper.
- 3 Arrange the melon on a serving plate, lay the ham over the top, and serve with a bowl of salsa.