Millionaire’s Lobster Salad, When is no object and you’re in a decadent mood, this salad will satisfy your every whim. It is ideally served with a cool Chardonnay, Chablis, or Pouilly-Fuisse wine.
Millionaire’s Lobster Salad Ingredients:
- 1 medium lobster, live or cooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 ½ lb. new potatoes, scraped
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 4 plump, juicy oranges
- ½ frisee lettuce
- 6 oz. lam’s lettuce
- 7 oz. can young artichokes in brine, quartered
- 4 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small bunch tarragon, chervil, or flat leaf parsley
- 6 fresh lavender flowers
- 2 tsp. finely grated orange zest
- 2 tbsp. frozen concentrated orange juice, thawed
- 3 oz. unsalted butter, diced
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- If the lobster needs cooking, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil with the bay leaf and thyme. Throw the lobster into the water, return to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool under running water, return to a boil, and simmer for 15 minutes. Cool under running water. Twist off the legs and claws, and separate the tail piece from the body section. Break the claws open with crackers or a small hammer and remove the meat intact. Cut the tail piece open from the underside with a pair of kitchen shears. Slice the meat and set aside.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil in salted water and simmer for 20 minutes. Drain, cover and keep warm. Cover the tomatoes with boiling water and leave for 20 seconds to loosen their skins. Cool under running water and slip off the skins. Halve the tomatoes, discard the seeds, then cut the flesh into large dice.
- To segment the oranges, remove the peel from the top, bottom and sides with a serrated knife. With a small paring knife, loosen the orange segments by cutting between the flesh and the membranes, holding the fruit over a small bowl.
- To make the dressing, measure the thawed orange juice into a glass bowl and set it over a saucepan containing 1 in of simmering water. Heat the juice for 1 minute, remove from the heat, then whisk in the butter a little at a time until the dressing reaches a coating consistency. Season to taste with salt and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Cover and keep warm.
- Wash the salad leaves and spin dry. Dress with olive oil, then divide between 4 large serving plates. Toss the potatoes, artichokes, and orange segments with olive oil and distribute among the leaves. Lay the sliced lobster over the salad, spoon on the warm butter dressing, add the diced tomato, and decorate with fresh herbs. Serve at room temperature.
COOK’S TIP : The rich delicate flavour of this salad depends on using the freshest lobsters. If North Atlantic lobsters are not available, use spiny rock lobsters or crawfish.