Poor Boy Steak Salad Recipe, ”Poor Boy” started life in Italian Creole community of New Orleans when the poor survived on sandwiches filled with leftover scraps. Times have improve since then, and today the “Poor Boy” sandwich is commonly filled with tender beef strips and other vegies and this is a Salad version.
Poor Boy Steak Salad Ingredients:
- 4 sirloin or rump steaks, about 6oz. each
- 1 escarole lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress
- 4 tomatoes, quartered
- 4 large dill pickles, sliced
- 4 scallions, sliced
- 4 canned artichoke hearts, halved
- 6 oz. button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 12 green olives
- ½ cup French dressing
- Salt and black pepper
- Season the steaks with salt and black pepper.
- Cook the steaks under a moderate broiler for about 6-8 minutes, turning once, until medium rare.
- Cover and leave to rest in a warm plate.
- Wash the salad leaves and spin dry.
- Combine with the remaining ingredients and toss with the French dressing.
- Divide the salad between 4 plates.
- Slice each steak diagonally and top over the salad on each plate.
- Season salt and serve.