Ratatouille Recipe, is a combination of tomatoes, onions, peppers, eggplants and zucchini cooked in olive oil and garlic. This Mediterranean dish is often served at room temperature during summer months and is delicious with a salad of white beans, a few anchovies, and a basket of crispy bread.
- 6 small eggplants
- 1 large onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2/3 cup olive oil, preferably French or Spanish
- ½ lb. zucchini, thickly sliced
- 1 large green bell pepper, seeded and roughly chopped
- 12 oz. ripe tomatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tsp. olive paste (optional)
- 2 tbsp. chopped fresh herbs, parsley, basil, tarragon, oregano
- Salt and pepper
- Halve the eggplants, then slice thickly.
- If the eggplants are large, you will need to extract the bitter juices.
- To do this, sprinkle the cut surfaces generously with salt and secure between 2 large plates.
- After 20 minutes a clear liquid will emerge. Rinse well in cold water to remove the salt and dry well.
- Soften the onion and garlic in olive oil for 6-8 minutes. Add the eggplant, zucchini, green bell pepper, tomatoes and olive oil paste (if using).
- Simmer, uncovered, for about 40 minutes.
- To finish, stir in the vinegar and herbs.
- Season to taste and allow to cool.