San Francisco Salad Recipe, California is a salad maker’s paradise and is renowned for the healthiness of its produce. San Francisco has become the salad capital of California, although this recipe is based on a salad served at the Chez Panisse restaurant in Berkeley.
San Francisco Salad Ingredients:
- 2 lb. langoustines or jumbo shrimp
- salt and cayenne pepper
- 2 oz. bulb fennel, sliced
- 2 ripe med. Tomatoes, quartered
- 4 ripe sm. tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for dressing
- 4 tbsp. brandy
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 7 oz. fresh or canned lobster or crab bisque
- 2 tbsp. fresh tarragon, roughly chopped
- 3 tbsp. heavy cream
- 8 oz. green beans, trimmed and stringed
- 2 oranges
- 6 oz. lamb’s lettuce
- ¼ lb. arugula
- ½ friscee lettuce
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil, add the langoustines or shrimp and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Refresh under cold running water and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- Twist the tails from all langoustines except for 4 (reserve these tails for garnish the dish later) or peel and devein if you’re using shrimp.
- Peel the outer shell from tail and put the tail peelings, carapace, claws in a roasting pan with the fennel and tomatoes.
- Toss with 2 tbsp. of olive oil and roast near the top of the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove the roasting pan from the oven and place it over a moderate heat on top of the stove.
- Add the brandy and ignite to release the flavour of the alcohol.
- Add the dry white wine and simmer briefly.
- Transfer the contents of the roasting pan to a food processor and pulse until coarse for 15 seconds.
- Force through a fine nylon strainer into a bowl.
- Add the lobster or crab bisque, tarragon, and cream.
- Season to taste with salt and a little cayenne pepper.
- Wash and spin the salad leaves and set aside.
- Bring a saucepan of salted water to a boil and cook the beans for 6 minutes.
- Drain and cool under running water and set aside.
- To segment the oranges, cut the peel from top and bottom, and the sides with a serrated knife.
- Loosen the segments by cutting between the membranes and the flesh.
- Toss the lettuce with olive oil distribute between 4 serving plates.
- Fold the langoustines or shrimp into the dressing and distribute between plates.
- Add the beans, oranges, and small fresh tomatoes, decorate each with a whole langoustine or shrimp and serve warm.