Scallops with Watercress and Fennel,
Scallops with Watercress and Fennel Ingredients:
- 1 med. fennel bulb
- 12 fresh or frozen sea scallops ( 1 to 1 1/2 lbs.)
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 tsp. grated fresh ginger or 1/8 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. finely shredded orange peel
- 1 tsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp. honey
- 2 med. oranges, peeled and thinly sliced crosswise
- 4 cups watercress, tough stems removed
- Preheat broiler. Cut off and discard upper stalks from fennel bulb. Remove any wilted outer layers and cut and discard a thin slice from fennel base. Cut fennel bulb into very thin slices. Set aside.
- Thaw scallops, if frozen. Rinse scallops; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle scallops with salt and pepper. Place scallops on the unheated rack of a broiler pan. Broil 4 inches from the heat about 8 minutes or until scallops are opaque, turning once halfway through broiling.
- Meanwhile, for dressing, in a small bowl whisk together yogurt, ginger, orange peel, orange juice, and honey. Set aside.
- Cut orange slices in half. Divide sliced fennel and watercress among four serving plates. Top with scallops and orange slices. Drizzle with dressing.
COOK’S TIP : Use a mandolin to slice fennel very thinly.