Sour Cucumber with Fresh Dill Salad Recipe. This is half pickle, half salad, and totally delicious served with pumpernickel or other coarse, dark, full flavoured bread, as a light meal or an appetizer. Choose smooth-skinned, smallish cucumbers for this recipe as larger ones tend to be less tender, with tough skins and bitter indigestible seeds. If you can only buy a large cucumber, peel if before slicing.
Sour Cucumber with Fresh Dill Salad Ingredients:
- 2 small cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 3 onions, thinly sliced
- Pinch of salt
- 5-6 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 2-3 tbsp. chopped fresh dill
- 2 tbsp. caster sugar
- In a large mixing bowl, combine together thinly sliced cucumbers and onions.
- Season the vegetable with salt and toss together until they are thoroughly combined.
- Leave the mixture to stand in a cool place for 5-10 minutes.
- Add the sugar in cider vinegar and 3 tbsp. of water then stir until sugar dissolves.
- Add chopped fresh dill and vinegar mixture to the cucumber and onion mixture.
- Toss all the ingredients together until well combined, then chill in the refrigerator for a few ours, or until ready to serve.