Spicy Mackerel Salad Recipe, A light and tasty fried fish salad with crushed peanuts, chillies, and green apple strips. Another great spicy appetizer or as a side dish to serve.
Spicy Mackerel Salad Ingredients:
- 4 med. Mackerels, cleaned
- 1 green apple
- 4-5 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 knob ginger, peeled and grated
- 3 tbsp. peanuts, toasted, skinned and crushed
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice and 1 tbsp. zest from 2 lemons
- Cooking oil, for deep frying
- Salt and pepper
- 5 lettuce leaves, washed
- coriander (cilantro), roughly chopped for garnish
- Steam fish for 5-7 minutes until lightly cooked, then removed from steamer and gently pat to dry.
- Heat cooking oil and deep- fry steamed fish until golden.
- Drain and leave to cool. Debone and skin, then flake flesh.
- Peel apple and finely shred.
- Toss fish meat with shredded apple, shallots, ginger, chillies and peanuts in a mixing bowl.
- Add lemon juice and zest, season with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- Dish salad out onto a plate lined with lettuce leaves.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.