Spinach and Lentil Salad with Toasted Walnuts,
Spinach and Lentil Salad with Toasted Walnuts Ingredients:
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup dry brown or French Lentils, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup chopped red sweet pepper
- 1/3 cup chopped green onion
- 1/4 snipped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 2 tbsp. chopped toasted walnuts
- 6 cups torn mixed salad greens
- 12 oz. cooked sliced chicken breast
- 1 recipe Red Wine Vinaigrette
- In a small saucepan combine water and lentils. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes or until lentils are tender and most of the liquid is absorbed.
- Drain lentils and place in a medium bowl.
- Stir in sweet pepper, green onion parsley, and walnuts.
- Place salad greens on a serving platter.
- Top with lentil mixture and chicken. Drizzle with Red Wine Vinaigrette.
Red Wine Vinaigrette : In a small bowl combine 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar and 1 tbsp. finely chopped shallots. Let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in 1 1/2 Dijon-style mustard. Add 2 tbsp. olive oil in think steady stream, whisking constantly until combined. Stir in 1/8 tsp. salt and 1/8 tsp. black pepper. Makes about 1/3 cup.