Swiss Cheese Chicken and Tongue Salad Recipe with Apple and Celery, The rich sweet flavors of this salad marry well with the tart peppery nature of watercress. A minted lemon dressing combines to freshen the overall effect. Serve with warm new potatoes.
Swiss Cheese, Chicken and Tongue Salad with Apple and Celery Ingredients:
- 2 free-range chicken breasts, skin and bone removed
- ½ chicken stock cube
- ½ lb. slice tongue or ham, ¼ in thick
- ½ lb. Swiss cheese
- 1 lollo rosso lettuce
- 1 butterhead, Boston lettuce
- 1 bunch watercress
- 2 green apples, cored and sliced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 4 tbsp. sesame seeds, toasted
- salt, pepper and nutmeg
- 5 tbsp. peanut or sunflower oil
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh mint
- 3 drops Tabasco sauce
- Place the chicken breasts in a shallow saucepan, cover with 10 oz. of water, add the ½ stock cube, and bring to boil.
- Put the lid on the pan and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Drain, reserving the stock for another occasion, then cool the chicken under cold running water.
- To make the dressing, measure the two oils, lemon juice, mint and Tabasco sauce into a jar and shake.
- Cut the chicken, tongue and cheese into fine strips.
- Toss with a little dressing and set aside.
- Wash and spin the salad leaves, combine with the apple and celery and dress. Distribute between 4 large plates.
- Pile the chicken, tongue and cheese in the center, scatter with toasted sesame seeds, season with salt, black pepper and freshly grated nutmeg then serve.