Tomato, Bean and Fried Basil Salad Recipe. Infusing basil in hot oil brings out its wonderful, aromatic flavour, which works so well in almost any tomato dish. Various canned beans or chickpeas can be used instead of mixed beans in this simple dish, as they all taste good and make a wholesome salad to serve as an accompaniment or a satisfying snack with some warm, grainy bread.
Tomato, Bean and Fried Basil Salad Ingredients:
- ½ cup fresh basil leaves
- 5 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 300g cherry tomatoes,halved
- 400g mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- Reserve one-third of the basil leaves for garnish, then tear the remainder into pieces.
- Pour the olive oil into a small pan.
- Add the torn basil and heat gently for a minute, until the basil sizzles and begins to colour.
- Place the halved cherry tomatoes and beans in a bowl.
- Pour in the basil oil and add a little salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Toss the ingredients together gently, cover and leave to marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve the salad sprinkled with the remaining basil leaves.