Waldorf Ham Salad Recipe, this Waldorf salad first appeared at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel, New York, in the 1890s. Originally it consisted of apples, celery and mayonnaise. It was consisted served with duck, ham and goose. This modern-day version often includes meat and is something of a meal in itself.
Waldorf Ham Salad Ingredients:
- 3 apples, peeled
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 slices cooked ham,
- 3 stalks celery
- 2/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 escarole or Batavia lettuce
- 1 small radicchio, finely shredded
- 1/2 bunch watercress
- 3 tbsp. walnut or olive oil
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- salt and pepper
- Core, slice and shred the apples finely.
- Moisten with lemon juice to keep them white.
- Cut the ham into 2 strips, then cut the celery into similar-sized pieces, and combine in a bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise to the shredded apples, ham and celery and mix well.
- Wash and spin the salad leaves. Shred the leaves finely, then toss with walnut oil.
- Distribute the leaves between 4 plates.
- Pile the mayonnaise mixture in the centre, scatter with toasted walnuts.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and then serve.