Arugula, Pear and Parmesan Salad, For a sophisticated start to an elaborate meal, try this simple salad of honey-rich pears, fresh Parmesan, and aromatic leaves of arugula. Enjoy with a young Beaujolais or chilled Lambrusco wine.
Arugula, Pear and Parmesan Salad Ingredients:
- 3 ripe pears, Williams or Packhams
- 2 tsp. lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. hazelnut or walnut
- 4 oz. arugula
- 3 oz. Parmesan cheese
- Black pepper
- Open textured bread, to serve
- 1 Peel and core the pears and slice thickly. Toss with lemon juice to keep the flesh white.
- 2 Combine the nut oil with the pears. Add the arugula leaves and toss.
- 3 Transfer the salad to small 4 plates and top with shavings of Parmesan cheese. Season with freshly ground black pepper and serve.
- If you are unable to buy arugula easily, you can grow your own from early spring to late summer.