Maryland Salad Recipe, Barbecued chicken, sweet corn, bacon, banana and watercress combine here in a sensational main-course salad that is out of ordinary. Serve with baked potatoes and a knob of butter.
Maryland Salad Ingredients:
- 4 boneless free-range chicken breasts
salt and pepper
½ lb. bacon, rind removed
4 sweet corn cobs
3 tbsp. soft butter
4 ripe bananas, peeled and halved
4 firm tomatoes, halved
1 escarole or Boston lettuce
1 bunch watercress
- 5 tbsp. peanut oil
1 tbsp. white wine vinegar
2 tsp. maple syrup
2 tsp. mild mustard
- Season the chicken breasts, brush with oil and barbecue or broil for 15 minutes, turning once.
- Barbecue or grill the bacon for 8 minutes or until crisp.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil. Shuck and trim the corn cobs or leave the husks on if you prefer. Boil for 20 minutes. For extra flavour, brush with butter and brown over the barbecue or under the broiler.
- Barbecue or broil the bananas and tomatoes for 6-8 minutes, you can brush these with butter too if you wish.
- To make the dressing, combine the oil, vinegar, maple syrup and mustard with 1 tbsp. of water in a jar and shake well.
- Wash, spin thoroughly and dress the salad leaves. Distribute the salad leaves between 4 large plates.
- Slice the chicken and arrange over the leaves with the bacon, banana, sweet corn and tomatoes.