Nasi Kerabu Salad Recipe. This tossed rice salad originates from Kelantan, Malaysia. Kerabu salad is made with mixed vegetables like bean sprouts, long beans, laksa leaves and sambal. Sambal is a mixture of dry-fried coconut and fish flakes. This salad is served along with cooked long grain rice and delicious spicy paste made from dried prawns, chillies, coconut milk, dried fruit and seasoned perfectly. This salad is great it is usually served at room temperature.
Nasi Kerabu Salad Ingredients:
- 800g long grain rice, cooked
- 200g grated skinned coconut
- 1pc mackerel
- 3 tbsp. oil, for frying
- ¼ tsp. black pepper
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. palm sugar, grated
- 10 small onions, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 10pcs. dried chillies, soaked to soften
- 2 tbsp. dried prawn (shrimp paste)
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 1 stalk lemon grass, bruised
- 2 slices dried sour fruit (asam gelugur)
- 1 tbsp. palm sugar, grated
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 4 polygonum (laksa) leaves, finely sliced
- 5 long beans, finely sliced
- 1 stalk, lemon grass, white part only, finely sliced
- 110g bean sprouts, tailed
- To prepare the sambal, dry-fry grated coconut until light brown and set aside.
- Heat some oil in a pan and cook the mackerel until well done.
- Flake flesh of the mackerel finely and discard the bones, head and tail.
- Mix fish with grated coconut and remaining sambal ingredients and set aside.
- To prepare the paste blend together onions, garlic, chillies and dried prawn paste.
- Place in a pan with coconut milk and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat and add the lemon grass, dried sour fruit slices, palm sugar and salt.
- Let it simmer until the sauce becomes thick.
- Serve sambal, spice paste and salad on the side with cooked rice.
- Serve in a big platter and allow the guests to mix the ingredients together for themselves before eating.
Such an extraordinary salad, but still looks good!