Rockburger Salad with Sesame Croutons, This salad plays on the ingredients that make up the all-American hamburger in a sesame bun. Inside the burger is a special layer of Roquefort, a blue ewe’s milk cheese from France.
Rockburger Salad with Sesame Croutons Ingredients:
- 2 lb. lean ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. French mustard
- ½ tsp. celery salt
- pinch of black pepper
- 4 oz. Roquefort or other blue cheese
- 1 large sesame seed bread loaf
- 3 tbsp. olive oil, preferably Spanish
- 1 small iceberg lettuce
- 2 oz. arugula or watercress
- ½ cup French Dressing
- 4 ripe tomatoes, quartered
- 4 large scallions
- Place the ground beef, egg, onion, mustard, celery salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Combine thoroughly. Divide the mixture into 16 portions, each weighing about 2 oz.
- Flatten the pieces between 2 sheets of plastic wrap or waxed paper to form 5 in rounds.
- Place ½ oz. of the cheese on 8 of the thin burgers. Sandwich with remainder and press the edges firmly. Store between pieces of plastic wrap or waxed paper and chill until ready to cook.
- To make the sesame croutons, preheat the broiler to a moderate temperature. Remove the sesame crust from the bread, then cut the crust into short fingers. Brush with olive oil and toast evenly for 10-15 minutes.
- Season the burgers and broil for 10 minutes, turning once.
- Wash the salad leaves and spin dry. Toss with the dressing, then distribute between 4 large plates. Place 2 of the rockbburgers in the center of each plate and arrange the tomatoes, scallions, and sesame croutons around the edge.
COOK’S TIP : If you’re planning ahead, it’s a good idea to freeze the filled burgers between pieces of waxed paper. They will keep the freezer for up to 8 weeks.