Russian Salad Recipe, Russian salad became fashionable in the hotel dining rooms in Europe. This Classic salad is originally consisted of lightly cooked vegetables, eggs, shellfish, and mayonnaise. This version recalls better days and plays on the theme of the Faberge Egg.
Russian Salad Ingredients:
- ¼ lb. large button mushrooms
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 12 oz. shrimp, cooked and peeled
- 1 med. dill pickle, chopped or 1 tbsp. capers, roughly chopped
- Salt, pepper and paprika
- ¼ lb. fava beans
- ¼ lb. sm. New potatoes, scrubbed
- ¼ lb. young carrots, trimmed and peeled
- ¼ lb. baby corn
- ¼ lb. baby turnips, trimmed
- 1 tbsp. olive oil, French or Italian
- 4 eggs, hard-cooked and shelled
- 1 oz. canned anchovies, cut into fine strips
- Slice the mushrooms thinly, then cut into matchsticks. Combine the mayonnaise and lemon juice.
- Fold half of the mayonnaise into the mushrooms and shrimp, add the chopped dill pickle or capers, then season to taste.
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil, add the fava beans, and cook for about 3 minutes.
- Drain and cool under running water, then pinch the beans between thumb and forefinger to release them from their tough skins.
- Boil the potatoes for 20 minutes and the remaining vegetables for 6 minutes.
- Drain and cool under running water.
- Toss the vegetables, with oil and divide between 4 shallow bowls.
- Spoon on the dressed shrimp and mushrooms and place hard-cooked eggs in the center and top with anchovy strips, sprinkle with paprika and serve.