Apple and Chicken Salad
Apple and Chicken Salad, this chicken salad is loaded with flavors, from the tangy dried cranberries and sweet apples to the crunchy walnuts, lemon juice, and mayonnaise.
Apple and Chicken Salad Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup apple jelly
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tbsp. horseradish mustard
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves (about 1 pound)
- 4 cups mesclun or torn mixed salad greens
- 2 tart med. apples, cored and sliced
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp. canola oil
- In a small saucepan melt apple jelly over low heat. Remove from heat; stir in mustard. Set aside 2 tablespoons of the jelly mixture to brush on chicken. Reserve remaining jelly mixture for dressing.
- For a charcoal grill, place chicken on the rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals. Grill for 12 to 15 minutes or until longer pink (170 F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place chicken on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.) Brush chicken with 2 tablespoons jelly mixture. Transfer chicken to a cutting board; cool slightly and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl toss together mesclun, apples, dried cranberries and walnuts. For dressing, whisk together reserved jelly mixture, cider vinegar, and oil.
- Divide greens mixture among four serving plates. Arrange chicken on the greens; drizzle with dressing.
Mesclun may sound like a foreign ingredient, but it is just a mix of young salad greens, herbs, and sometimes edible flowers. It’s also called mesculum, field greens, spring mix, and gourmet mix.
Christina @ Sweet Pea's Kitchen
I love adding fruit to salads. This apple and walnut chicken salad looks incredible! 🙂
The addition of apple jelly is so unique. This looks delicious!