Caesar Salad with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms
Caesar Salad with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms make a wonderful alternative to chicken or fish on a tangy caesar salad, the big Portobello mushrooms are perfect for this, as they are thick and juicy and have a meaty quality to them.
Caesar Salad with Grilled Portobello Mushrooms Ingredients:
- 2 fresh Portobello Mushrooms (about 4 0z. each)
- 1 lb. chicken breast halve fillet, skinless
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 tsp. Dijon-style mustard
- 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 light mayonnaise or salad dressing
- 8 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup Whole Wheat Croutons
- 2 tbsp. shredded Parmesan cheese
- Wipe mushrooms clean with a damp cloth. Remove stems and gills from mushrooms. Lightly coat both sides of mushrooms and chicken breast halves with non-stick cooking spray; sprinkle chicken with salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- For a charcoal grill, place mushrooms and chicken on the rack of an uncoated grill directly over medium coals.
- Grill mushrooms for 10 to 12 minutes or until tender.
- Grill chicken for 12 to 15 minutes or until no longer pink (170 F), turning once halfway through grilling. (For a gas grill, preheat grill. Reduce heat to medium. Place mushrooms and chicken on grill rack over heat. Cover and grill as above.)
- Meanwhile,, for dressing, in a small bowl combine lemon juice, red wine vinegar, Dijon-style mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Whisk in mayonnaise.
- Divide lettuce among for serving plates. Slice grilled mushrooms and chicken. Arrange on lettuce. Spoon dressing over salads. Sprinkle with Whole Wheat Croutons and Parmesan cheese.
Whole Wheat Croutons: Preheat oven to 350 F. Cut 2 slices whole wheat bread into 1/2-to 1-inch pieces. Spread pieces in an even layer in a shallow baking pan. Lightly coat bread cubes with non-stick cooking spray; toss turn pieces. Spread evenly and lightly coat again with non-stick cooking spray. Bake about 10 minutes or until bread cubes are lightly browned and crisp. Cool completely.
What a fabulous recipe!! this sounds like a great variation.
Splendid. Must try